Wednesday 5 March 2014

The Water Boatman

 
As promised, a sinking water boatman pattern. This fly is best fished on a floating line as opposed to the floating boatman which is best fished on a sinking line. I cast it out and give the fly some time to sink and then begin an erratic retrieve. Because it sinks so rapidly once the fly has gotten into the depth I want to keep the fly moving along quite rapidly. Short, two inch strips are the retrieve I favor with this fly.
 
I have the most luck fishing this fly during the boatman hatch in the fall. During the warmest parts of the day, boatman return to the water after spending time on land mating. It can be a very exciting time to be on the water as the fishing can be outstanding. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to where on the lake the fish rain down, just watch for what looks like rain drop crashing the waters surface. The trout can lock onto fish at the surface or under water, some trial and error may be needed to find the correct depth but I have found closer to the surface to be the most productive.
 
Early spring has also been a very productive time for me with this pattern. I find when I tie on the pattern, if it is going to work the fish will hit it right away. It's not a pattern I would use if the fish are off a little. In spring it works best in shallow water over growing weed beds, again, the warmest parts of the day seem to be the most productive.
 
Materials for this pattern are Daiichi 1550 hook in size 12 to 16, Waspi Woolly Bugger Chenille in tan small size, Super Floss for legs and Waspi Thin Skin cut at about 3/16" for the shell back. Thread is black or brown Uni Thread 6/0.
 
First I split the Super Floss. I try to get it into an exact half, and then use the halves. I find without splitting it, the floss is too stiff to give the legs the proper action.
 
 
 
Next tie in the thin skin for the back, the chenille and figure eight in the super floss.
 
 
Wind the chenille forward making sure the legs will stand out about half way down the hook shaft.
 
 
 
Pull the thin skin over, I like to stretch it a little to make it a little thinner. This makes the thin skin a little lighter and ensures the fly rides hook down in the water. I find this is one fly that the weight on the top of the hook can overwhelm and make the fly ride upside down, so check your fly's action.
Tie the thin skin down and whip finish a fair sized head on the fly. A permanent marker in black can be used to color a design on the thin skin if desired.
Pull the legs back and cut with scissors at a length that is a little longer than the hook bend. The longer the legs, the better action they will have, but if too long, they can get caught up behind the bend of the hook.
 
Try this fly on a floating line in the early spring or during the fall backswimmer hatch, I'm sure you will be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment