Saturday 8 March 2014

The Ice Cream Cone

 
The Ice Cream Cone is a very popular fly with Chironomid fly fishers, it's easy to tie and very effective. It uses a white bead to imitate the gills of the chironomid pupa. I put my own spin on it and where others build a taper of thread for the thorax, I tie in Micro Crystal Cactus for the thorax of the fly. I find it a little easier to do and I like the results better. I use a sterling Silver bead instead of white or pearl as well as I think it gives off a whiter sheen.
 
This fly is made for spring chironomid hatches and has a well earned reputation for moving fish. I fish it hanging vertically under an indicator. It can be used anywhere in the water column, shallow to deep, I have the best results around weed beds. I use an open loop clinch knot found here to attach the fly. http://alaskaflyfishingonline.com/tips/tip1clinchknot.html
 
Materials for this fly are Daiichi 1760 hook in sizes 12 to 16, brown super floss, sterling silver bead, small wire ribbing in red silver or gray and micro crystal cactus in peacock.
 

I begin by splitting the super floss into a more appropriate size.

 
 
 
Next I place the bead on the hook and run a base of thread, tie in the wire and super floss.
 
 

 
Wind the super floss forward keeping it from twisting, form a nice body and then counter rib it with the wire. Tie in the crystal cactus. 
 
 
 
A few wraps of the crystal cactus and then tie off. The fly can be given a coat or two of finger nail polish for durability if you so desire.
 
Try the Ice Cream Cone in whatever configuration you desire, I'm sure you will be impressed with the results.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment